Sunday, March 15, 2009

Things that have been unsuccessful


When Asher was 5 months old and still unable to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time, I got desperate. Even though I had my doubts about Gary Ezzo (Babywise/Prep for Parenting/Growing Kids God's Way creator), I decided after taking a class that I should give his method a try. I mean, all of the people I knew who did his program totally swore by it. They had great success and chubby, happy babies. I wish that more would have been stressed regarding that his program is ONLY for children of good, healthy appetites and normal weight ranges. Their is information all over the internet regarding Ezzo; some of which is probably untrue and hyper-critical. Read at your own risk. Be aware that most pediatricians cringe at the thought of a parent-directed feeding for newborns and infants.


While Asher did begin to sleep a lot better after implementing Ezzo's techniques, this is also when Asher began to have serious weight issues. He completely fell off of the growth chart at this time. He also began to slow down on his physical development. Asher, who fed on demand as a newborn, rolled over at 8 weeks (!), but was 6-7 months before he could sit up very well. Now, at 14.5 months, he is barely walking. I can't help but sometimes blame myself for putting him on the parent-directed feeding schedule that we did. Thankfully, we took him off of that around 10-11 months.


2 comments: